In a shocking development, Asus has reportedly decided to shut down the Zenfone series of smartphones. The report is coming from Taiwan and talks about the reasons for the move. The current-gen Zenfone 10 is said to be the last smartphone in the lineup. It is a phone that went official just a couple of months ago which is what makes shutdown claims hard to believe.
No More Asus Compact Android Flagships
As per a TechNews Taiwan report, Asus has shut down the Zenfone division citing organizational restructuring reasons. It started the restructuring process in June with the PC division which has now expanded to include the smartphone division. It is unknown when the whole process will be complete.
Asus is said to have assured employees of no layoffs but things have not exactly gone that way. There have been layoffs but some were lucky to have escaped the axe. The report says Asus’ mobile team is divided into two divisions: Zenfone and ROG Phone. It adds that the Zenfone team has been shut down and some of the employees have been merged with the ROG Phone team.
This new report has come right after the sightings of a couple of odd developments from Asus’ end in recent times. It recently started to stop users from unlocking the bootloader of their smartphones. It was said to be a temporary move at that time. The team is also said to have taken down older firmware packages for existing devices from the website.
It is unknown if these decisions were in any way related to the Zenfone shutdown process. Asus is yet to offer a statement on the report. We would suggest you wait until there is an official announcement from the company. If true, it would certainly be disappointing news for Android fans who will have one less option in the market, especially fans of compact smartphones.
To recall, the Zenfone 10 comes with a 5.9-inch Full HD+ AMOLED display with 144Hz refresh rate. It is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor and boots the clean ZenUI based on Android 13. It is a smartphone that is compact in size but does not compromise on performance and features.
ASUS Zenfone 10 Specifications
- Display: 5.9-inch AMOLED display, Full HD+ resolution, punch-hole cutout, Gorilla Glass Victus protection, 144Hz refresh rate, 1,100 nits maximum brightness, HDR support, 107% NTSC colour gamut, 151.9% sRGB colour gamut.
- Processor: Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC with Adreno 740 GPU.
- RAM And Storage: 8GB/16GB LPDDR5X RAM, 128GB/256GB/512GB UFS 4.0 storage.
- Software: Android 13 OS with ASUS ZenUI.
- Rear-facing Camera: 50 primary camera, f/1.9 aperture, OIS, 13MP ultra-wide camera, f/2.2, 120º viewing angle.
- Front-facing camera: 32MP
- Other Features: 3.5mm audio jack, dual stereo speakers with Dirac HD Sound, IP68 rating, 2 microphones with OZO Audio Noise Reduction Technology.
- Dimensions And Weight: 146.5×68.1×9.4mm; 172 grams.
- Connectivity: dual-SIM card slot, 5G SA/NSA, dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 be/ax/ac/a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v5.3, GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou, NavIC, USB Type-C port, NFC
- Battery: 5,000mAh, 30W fast charging, 15W wireless charging.